In general, the flu is worse than the common cold, and symptoms are much more intense. Colds tend to develop gradually, while the flu tends to come on suddenly. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose and colds generally do not result in pneumonia or bacterial infections. Flu symptoms often include fever, chills, and body aches besides the upper respiratory symptoms.
I have new herbs for colds and flu. Dr. Shen's formulas really work better than any other brands I've tried, so I've discontinued the others to make shelf space for the most potent and effective products around! The 3 new formulas are on "China's Top 14" herbal formulas list!
- Yin Chiao (a.k.a. Cold Stop): Probably the WORLD's best selling cold remedy! For early stage cold or flu, especially with a drippy nose. You can also use a small dose when people around you are sick to prevent getting it at work, at home, on an airplane, etc.
- Gan Mao Ling: An anti-viral formula good for any stage of cold or flu, good for cough, sore throat, and all upper respiratory symptoms.
- Zong Gan Ling: For the flu accompanied with a fever and body aches; Zong Gan Ling will ease symptoms and shorten illness duration.
Things to Consider Before Getting the Flu Vaccine
- From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: "The following substances are found in flu vaccines: aluminum, antibiotics, egg protein, formaldehyde, human aborted fetal apparatus (dead human tissue), monosodium glutamate (MSG), and thimerosol (mercury)." Exposure to these things is not safe.
- Researchers at the University of Minnesota Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy found little evidence that the flu shot provides real protection for most people. Those at highest risk are least likely to derive benefit, especially because flu strains are constantly morphing and becoming more virulent.
- The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews published several questionable findings about flu vaccines: 1, 2, 3, and 4.
- Shots are only able to protect against certain strains of the virus, which means that if you come into contact with a different strain of virus you will still get the flu.
- The Center for Disease Control (CDC) appoints a 15-member Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). This committee is responsible for deciding who should be vaccinated each year - almost all the ACIP have a financial interest in immunizations.
I focus on keeping my immune system happy by following my RESTED protocol:
- Receiving acupuncture, massage and chiropractic to stay balanced (yes, I get acupuncture, too!)
- Eating plenty of fresh, organic produce
- Supplementing Vitamin D3, Whole-Food Based Vitamin C (not ascorbic acid), and an immune system tonic like Dragon Herb's "Supreme Protector"
- Taking the time to rest and getting quality sleep
- Exercising regularly
- Drinking green vegetable juices and/or green smoothies several times a week