(Did you miss Part 1 or Part 2 of this series?)
Once you've read about the nasty stuff in this box, I'll show you something even more startling! Read on and familiarize yourself with the list of stuff that's in there so you can avoid buying products with these "ingredients".
- Corn starch - this may seem harmless but corn starch is most likely GMO. Over 88% of US corn is now derived from genetically modified (GMO) corn. Unless it's organic corn, assume it's genetically modified. Read why that's bad in Part 1 of this series.
- Maltodextrin - a highly processed starch that also is often derived from GMO corn.
- Salt, the 4th ingredient in a long list; it's gotta be quite a bit of salt.
- Monosodium glutatmate, or MSG, is a flavor-enhancing food additive that the FDA regards as safe, but it's an excitotoxin that can have adverse reactions such as headaches, rapid heart beat, diarrhea, nausea and more. A recent study from John Hopkins published in the journal Neurology (26 April, 2013) found a link between MSG and poor sleep due to Restless Leg Syndrome.
- Love the food coloring! Not. Since July 2010, most foods in the European Union that contain artificial food dyes were labeled with warnings that said "may have an adverse effect on activity and attention in children." Stop and think about that. You can also read this article to learn how food dyes are linked to cancer.
- Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) is produced by boiling foods such as soy (GMO!), corn (GMO!), or wheat in hydrochloric acid and then neutralizing the solution with sodium hydroxide. Does this sound like real food to you? Oh, I can't forget the best part, the acid breaks down the proteins into their component amino acids, one of which is MSG.
- Potassium chloride - this is a chemical compound that when combined with regular salt, is a flavor enhancer.
- Partially hydrogenated soybean oil (GMO!) - science has verified that partially hydrogenated oils (trans-fats) contribute to ill health, yet packaged foods continue to use them. They have to partially hydrogenate soybean oil to make it shelf stable. These man-made fats cause cellular dysfunction. Studies link trans-fats to cancer, diabetes, decreased immune function, reproductive problems, and more.
- Yeast extract, another flavor enhancer with MSG in it.
- Natural Flavor, the word "natural" is the most meaningless word on a food label. Consider is MSG again.
- Spice - code word MSG. Real food tastes good, my questions is why do they need so many flavor additives?
- Monoglycerides are used to blend ingredients that don't mix well, like water and oil. They may contain trans-fats (partially hydrogenated fats) but the FDA doesn't require them to be labeled as such.
- Sugar - mostly from GMO sugar beets, unless it says "cane sugar".
- Beef Stock - the cows were raised on an unnatural GMO soy/corn diet.
- Corn Syrup - GMO, again
- Disodium Inosinate - works well with MSG, this is getting redundant.
- Beef fat - the cows were raised on an unnatural GMO soy/corn diet.
- Sulfiting agents can cause a wide spectrum of adverse reactions including severe asthmatic attacks and anaphylactic reactions, they can be fatal.
- Soy sauce - GMO
- Silicon dioxide - this is actually sand. For real. It's used as a non-caking agent, and also it strenghtens concrete. FYI.
The Most Startling Discovery
Here's the chart of what I found to be significant (and scary):