If we stop buying the organic products at Whole Foods or elsewhere that are owned by these large parent companies, maybe they will come to their senses!
Here’s a list of brands to boycott:
- PepsiCo (Donated $2.5M): Naked Juice, Tostito’s Organic, Tropicana Organic
- Kraft (Donated $2M): Boca Burgers and Back to Nature
- Safeway (Member of Grocery Manufacturers Association, which donated $2M):“O” Organics
- Coca-Cola (Donated $1.7M): Honest Tea, Odwalla
- General Mills (Donated $1.2M): Muir Glen, Cascadian Farm, Larabar
- Con-Agra (Donated $1.2M): Orville Redenbacher’s Organic, Hunt’s Organic, Lightlife, Alexia
- Kellogg’s (Donated $791k): Kashi, Bear Naked, Morningstar Farms, Gardenburger
- Smucker’s (Donated $555k ): R.W. Knudsen, Santa Cruz Organic
- Unilever (Donated $467k): Ben & Jerry’s
- Dean Foods (Donated $254k): Horizon, Silk, White Wave
Although Prop 37 was defeated, now there is a huge, national consumer movement that is more determined than ever to win the right to know if our food has been genetically modified.
Beyond using your dollars as your voice, here’s another example of what you can do. Write a letter about GMO labeling to the businesses where you spend money (or used to spend money). Customer feedback is important to them!
Check out this amazing letter written by an activist to Peet’s Coffee about getting GMOs off their menu! You can adapt this letter and use it too.