You Should Know
Genetically Modified foods have been linked to acid reflux and digestive disorders in general, TYPE II Diabetes, Allergies, Auto-Immune Disorders, and CANCER! People and animals tend to suffer from similar health problems on a GM diet, but when those people and livestock are taken off GMOs; they ALL improve – that’s a no-brainer. I wouldn’t take a risk in this and choose to employ the precautionary principle.
If you buy ALL ORGANIC, the chances that you are eating GMOs are much slimmer. But even at Whole Foods, much of the processed food (that is not organic) that is sold in the middle aisles is laiden with Genetically Modified ingredients. Labels would help you safely choose.
When I was at Good Earth Market in Fairfax the other day, I noticed they had started a labeling project for all questionable products in the store! (See picture “At Risk for GMOs”)
Many people cannot afford organic as a choice and are left with the uncertainty at the supermarket. At Safeway I asked employees what they knew about GMOs, as well as questions about the feed of animals raised for meat, and the differences in organic vs. conventional eggs. They knew nothing. Do you shop at these stores and implicitly trust your grocer to bring in the healthiest and best options? Think again.
Most products regularly update their labels so don’t believe the new ad campaigns on TV that make you think it will cost you hundreds of dollars. In fact, we should ask why, if the people behind GM foods are so proud of them, are they spending millions of dollars for commercials to tell you they should stay hidden?
- Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
- Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
- Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
- Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
- Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)
- Animal products (milk, meat, eggs, honey, etc.) because of contamination in feed
Want to learn more?
- GMO Fact Page
- Mercola’s GMO Information and Articles (my favorite health resource blog)
- Dr. Oz Supports GMO labeling
- Michael Pollan Supports Labeling – NY Times Article
- Jillian Michaels Supports Labeling – Huffington Post Article
- Study linking GM Corn to Cancer
- Watch Genetic Roulette (free through October)
- Watch Seeds of Freedom